Sunday, April 27, 2008

Ophidiophobia




Yes. It is true. I am a certifiable ophidiophobiac. Defined as "a persistent, abnormal, and unwarranted fear of snakes", each year this surprisingly common phobia causes countless people needless distress. And yet, it is not the countless others I am concerned about. If you are reading this and are one of "us" I'm concerned about you, of course. But mostly, I am concerned about me. I cannot tell you how many times I have awakened my bed buddy and eventually myself as a result of terrifying nightmares starring these slithery reptiles. Even as I write this, I am concerned this very action of thought could trigger such an attack tonight. But, too late, I've already popped the cork on the subject....and here's why.

But first, let me explain the reason, as I see it, for this crippling fear. I was seven or eight years old. We lived next to the church, though at this time, my dad was not the pastor (has nothing to do with this story). Across the church parking lot and on the other side of the block and across the street lived some very mean boys. The Todd boys. They were probably 3 or 4 years older than me and really never paid me any attention...princess that I was! Except one day they were cutting across the church parking lot and found a garter snake. As the crowd (4 or 5 boys) gathered to look, my curiosity drew me into the circle. In answer to my, "What is that? Let me see!" The snake handler thrust the viper toward my face. Unless you have experienced sheer terror, you cannot know the fright I felt. So distressed I was unable to scream, I turned and ran which only added to their entertainment. On the open parking lot, there was no where to run, no where to hide as they continued their laughing pursuit, putting the snake over my shoulder, in my face. That's all I remember.

Since that day, I have experienced this extreme phobia of snakes. I have come across them at other times out in nature (even in a pet store) and been paralyzed with fear. I am, however, fascinated to see them in captivity where I am safe from the vile creatures.

I tell you this to relate a recent thought I had as I wandered along my beloved (5 mile) nature trail. I am, of course, always alert to the possibiltiy that at any moment a snake could cross my path or fall from a tree....or certainly swim in the waters with the fish, the fowl and the nasty turtles. So I even watch the water for signs of swimming snakes. I did see one last year. I won't be swimming there.

But last week as I walked, I saw ripples in the water with what appeared to be tiny heads on the surface. There were several together--maybe a dozen or more. My first thought--water snakes. It matters not if they are poisonous. All snakes are deadly to me. But these tiny snakes appeared to be swimming a water ballet. A gross, frightening, disgusting display of syncronized swimming which would lure curious creatures into their pit of deadly destruction.

Feeling safe by distance and land, I walked to the bridge overlooking the scene for closer observation. Give me credit for a vivid, if distorted, imagination. It was, in fact, a beautifully orchestrated performance of water bugs skimming across the smooth surface of the lake.

I wonder, how many times in the circumstances of life, do I envision the threat of snakes when in reality, I am seeing the rippling effects of water bugs? Perhaps a closer look could eliviate some of my anxiety.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you afraid of dogs?

Kr

Anonymous said...

being ophidiophobia myself make me understand what u experienced! actually i've been hate snake since i was small but i'm not ophidiophobia. it was when i saw this snakes fight(was it fight? one of the snake bite the other snake's head and they intertwined each other)near our school! i cant sleep for days after the incident. the memory keep repeating in my brain over and over again..by the end of the week i cant even stand my mother's fake snake leather shoes!

i hate that monster!

Joy said...

Dear Anon:
I can honestly say that, as a shoe fanatic, I have never been tempted toward the exotic snake skin variety. Not one time. Joy

free web stat