Thursday, July 10, 2008

Moby Dick, a Rowboat and Tartar Sauce

That’s how I would describe my feelings right now…I am going after Moby Dick in a rowboat with my fork and little jar of tartar sauce! How’s that for optimism?

I have launched into the deep armed with a business license hooked onto an idea. Don’t get me wrong; it’s a good idea. I take that back, it’s a GREAT idea. I’m so excited about it that I splash all over myself trying to get everything done. I have my notebook, my ever-growing checklist and an ocean of tasks ahead of me. My little boat rocks from time-to-time and I get the occasional wave of nausea, but I see land ahead and can’t wait to get there.

Yes, I have started my own business. (For those of you who take me so literally, I feel I must explain that I am not actually going fishing for a whale.) Not because no one would give me a job, mind you, but because I decided that I need to make my own decisions. I was weary of stressing out because it was never enough. I was tired of working long, long hours then staying awake at night worrying about tomorrow. And the irony is, I loved my job so incredibly much! But I knew it was killing my spirit. I had allowed it to rob me of my joy. (No pun intended!)


I must say that I prefer what I am doing now. I feel adequate. I feel empowered. I pat myself on the back. Good job, Joy! I am meeting my goals. I am accomplishing more every single day. I enjoy working long, long hours even though I am currently putting zero money into my bank account; I am doing it for me! I am doing it because I know I can do for myself what I have done for others all these years.

I have a small, but supportive volunteer crew. (You are volunteering, right?) Many, many thanks to those who listen, ENCOURAGE and offer suggestions. Each day I move a little closer and gain a bit of confidence that I can really do this.

Each time I eat a Filet ‘o Fish sandwich at McDonalds, I think of you!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

....and because you did such a WONDERFUL job bringing in the bucks at your last job - imagine what you can do working for a boss that appreciates you as much as you do her! Good luck to you, girl! I KNOW you'll go far! You're a paragon of positive for those of us trying to find that special "niche" in life!

Anonymous said...

so what is your new venture ?
GG

Anonymous said...

You will look back on this and wonder what took you so long to make this wonderful decision. You will be wonderfully successful and prosperous. I have no doubt at all.

Anonymous said...

So happy for you -- If you need another volunteer, I am retired and have plenty of time. Carole

Anonymous said...

good for you joy- now you have just joined us folks who work all the time! But you will not regret it

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the ranks of the "self-employed"! Next to parenting being in business is the hardest job you will ever do, particularly in this very challenging economic climate. As one of the folks on your blog asked, what are you doing? I hope it has something to do with the unbelievable writing skills the Lord has blessed you with. You are such a natural. May God bless and keep you!

free web stat