Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Giving Thanks

I'm not one to gush and get openly sentimental about my feelings. Those things I hold most dear, I keep close and treasure in my heart, but find it difficult to express. It is much easier to make light of things, laugh and enjoy life. However, just so you know, there are people, things, blessings and opportunities for which I am deeply grateful and of which I never speak. If I were to write those down here, you would say, "Yeah, yeah, so what else is new? Everyone says that." Just so you know, I am eternally grateful for my family, my friends, my home, my country, my God and all those people and things that make up who I am. That being said, I would like to expand my list of gratitude to those things that perhaps most of you take for granted.

As I sit at my desk this morning, I am thankful for my computer and all those conveniences it brings with it. I can stay in touch with family and friends, run a business and keep informed with a few effortless strokes of my fingers.

I am thankful for clicker pencils...not just any clicker pencils...the Pentel variety with the clicker on the side. I love pencils rather than pens because I tend to change my mind a lot and, like my computer, a pencil allows me that luxury of easily erasing the past and moving in a new direction.

I am thankful for the new cell tower in our neighborhood. For the first time in history, I get clear reception on my cell phone without walking through the house trying to find a "hot spot." Life is good.

I am thankful for Diet Cokes. I like the carbonation. I need the lift from the caffeine. I love that there are no calories to be concerned about.

I am thankful for the good books in my office. Many have strengthened my resolve to be a better person, think smarter and do better. Others have simply entertained me--those are the ones I like the best. Sometimes you just get tired of trying to be better...at least I do.

I am thankful for my car. Would I be just as thankful if it were not an '08 BMW? Hmmm...Hard to say.

I am thankful for my over-sized, but chic chair and ottoman in my office. It is in this chair that I am comfortable and secure as I read many books and watch TV...oh, yeah, and I do a lot of thinking and contemplation there as well..and sometimes I fall asleep. And I am thankful that I found my cashmere throw on sale for 75% off. I would never have considered it at $200, but had I known how much I would enjoy it, I would have paid $500.

Ok, I can't help it...here it comes...I love my family so very, very much. I am so grateful for a strong and cohesive family and for our love for each other. I am grateful for all my friends and especially those few who are so close and dear to me. This year in particular I am thankful for those who have listened, advised and encouraged me. It's been an amazing and unique year to say the least. I have learned a lot. I am thankful.

No comments:

free web stat